Ringing at St Giles, Standlake

6 bells (11½cwt). Stairs.

OX18 2BS. (Locate using  Google Map or  OS Map or  OpenStreetMap).

Practice: Wednesday 19:30 – 21:00.

Sunday: 09:00

About us

St Giles Church, Standlake

Standlake is a large village, situated about 6 miles south of Witney. St Giles Church is is a Grade II* listed Church based on late Norman foundations (c1180), it was largely rebuilt in the 13th century.

During the 14th century, a period of relative prosperity, the chancel and transepts were remodelled and the aisles and unusual octagonal tower and spire added. The clerestory was built in the15th century to add light. Like many churches, St Giles fell into disrepair during the 17th and 18th centuries.

A major restoration was begun in1876, returning the building to its Early English architectural style as far as possible. The carved oak pews and chancel roof of this restoration are wonderful.

In 2012 a generous legacy enabled the Church to have a dais constructed in front of the chancel for a nave altar and in order to accommodate choirs and other performances. The large churchyard is well kept and an experimental wildlife conservation area has been set aside and there is ample car parking.

About us

The Bells

1931 cast iron frame by Whites of Appleton.

About us

Details and inscriptions of the bells

TREBLE (D♯):

4-2-20 c.w.t.

‘Mears & Stainbank

1887

2 (C♯):

4-2-27 c.w.t.

Henry III Bagley

1709

3 (B):

4-3-7 c.w.t.

Henry III Bagley

1709

About us

Details and inscriptions of the bells

4 (A♯):

5-1-19 c.w.t

Mears & Stainbank

1931

5 (G♯):

8-1-11 c.w.t.

Henry III Bagley

1710

Tenor (F♯):

10-1-18 c.w.t.

William Taylor

1843

Standlake Gallery

Latest news

This note is circulated from Robert Newton. It sets out a proposal […]
Broadwell
The first quarter peal in over a century was recently rung on […]
Seven ringers attended a very enjoyable practice, including Rick Taylor who unfortunately […]