Ringing at St James the Great, Stonesfield

6 bells (7-3-22). Stairs.

OX29 8PS. (Locate using  Google Map or  OS Map or  OpenStreetMap).

Practice: 4th Wednesday of month 19:30 – 21:00.

Sunday: 10:30.

About us

St James the Great Church, Stonesfield

The Church of England parish church of St James the Great was built in the 13th century. Surviving Early English features from that period include the chancel arch, north chapel, south aisle, arcade and piscina and most of the west tower. Decorated Gothic remodelling in the 14th century includes the piscina and south windows of the chancel, the north window and west arch of the north chapel and the east window of the south aisle. The octagonal font is also 14th-century. In the 15th century the west tower was increased in height.

Between the chancel and north chapel is a screen that is partly Perpendicular Gothic. The Perpendicular Gothic east window in the chancel is 15th-century. Fragments of 15th-century stained glass survive in the window, including a figure that has a 14th-century head and may represent Saint Peter, and symbols of the evangelists St John and St Mark. In the west window of the west tower is late-15th-century stained glass of four family coats of arms. In one of the south windows of the chancel is 16th-century stained glass of two coats of arms: one of a manorial family and the other of the Worshipful Company of Mercers. There is also mid-16th-century stained glass of two family coats of arms in one of the 17th-century south windows of the clerestory. The Jacobean pulpit was made in 1629.

In 1743 a clock was installed in the church. It was said to have been made for a local manor house in 1543, and transferred to the church after the house was demolished. The clock has since been moved from Stonesfield, rebuilt, and installed at Judd’s Garage at Wootton. In 1825 the north aisle was greatly enlarged, opening directly into the nave without an arcade. This greatly changed the interior of the church, and in the 20th century the architectural historians Jennifer Sherwood and Sir Nikolaus Pevsner condemned the change as “lunatic”. Other 19th-century changes include the addition of the south porch, possibly during a restoration in 1876. The vestry was added in 1956. The church is a Grade II* listed building. St James’ parish is now part of the Benefice of Stonesfield with Combe Longa.

About us

The Bells

Awaiting content

About us

Details and inscriptions of the bells

TREBLE (G):

3-1-2 c.w.t.

George Mears

1860

2 (F):

3-3-24 c.w.t.

Thomas Rudhall

1783

3 (E♭):

4-1-10 c.w.t.

Matthew III Bagley

1756

About us

Details and inscriptions of the bells

4 (D):

5-0-24 c.w.t

Richard Keene

1660

5 (C):

5-3-26 c.w.t.

George Mears

1860

Tenor (B♭):

7-3-22 c.w.t.

Joseph Carter

1602

Stonesfield Gallery

Latest news

This note is circulated from Robert Newton. It sets out a proposal […]
Broadwell
The first quarter peal in over a century was recently rung on […]
Seven ringers attended a very enjoyable practice, including Rick Taylor who unfortunately […]